Early Reading/ Phonics
- At STM we follow the DfE Letters and Sounds programme which concentrate on activities to promote speaking and listening skills, phonological awareness and oral blending.
- We teach systematic synthetic phonics from Reception upwards and cover all phases sequentially. As soon as Reception start full time we begin with teaching Phase 2 and teach a set per week.
- Reception and Year 1 teach phonics daily four times a week and follow the DfE structure;
- Any pupils (including those pupils in Year 2 and 3) who need continued support with phonics have daily intervention tailored to their knowledge around the phase they are currently working on.
- Children are assessed every 6 weeks against the phase that has been taught to them in order to get a snapshot of progress. This then informs planning and next steps for pupils.