STM Approach to Maths Mastery
- St Thomas More Catholic Primary School is committed to the lively and engaging delivery of mathematics across the age ranges and curriculum. For children to access the majority of their learning in numeracy, a strong and confident grasp of the four number operations and fractions; of formal and informal written methods and of mental strategies is important.
- At St Thomas More we follow the Maths Mastery elements across all year groups. For the past two years the Head Teacher and Maths leader have designed and implemented this approach to tailor it to best fit the needs of our pupils.
- Since 2018 STM has been a member of the Teacher Research Group within the London SE Primary Maths Hub to ensure we are at the forefront of research and best practice and this is incorporated into teaching.
- In lessons there is a lot of "Talk for Maths" opportunities which focus on verbal reasoning skills. This gives pupils the opportunities to articulate their reasoning through talk partner work. They are then further challenged to “explain to the class” or “teach your partner”.
- During a lesson there will be four steps that are always followed;
- Problem Solving
- Applying concepts
- The children will have a range of support through modelled examples, concrete resources and adult support throughout the lesson where and if necessary.
- Times Tables are taught in sequence across the year groups:
- Year 1 – multiplication facts of 2, 5, 10
- Year 2 – multiplication and division facts of 2, 5, 10, 3, 4
- Year 3 – multiplication and division facts of 2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 6, 8
- Year 4 –multiplication and division facts of all tables to 12
- Year 5 – multiplication and division facts of all tables to 12 plus prime numbers to 20
- Year 6 – prime numbers to 100, squares to 12 squared, square roots to 144
Bexley Maths Fluency Resources
Bexley Education Support Services have created some rather nice leaflets to support parents and carers to help their child with fluency in maths at home.
The leaflets cover a short explanation about fluency and NC aims then cover suggestions for maths in an age appropriate book, maths in the world around them and games.